We have a new team at River Terrace Church consisting of Shalom Jaconette, Carla Bieber, Sandee DeVries and Linda Turrentine. The purpose of this team is to ensure that people of all abilities are welcome at River Terrace and comfortable participating in the life of the church.
How are we going to do that? By:
- reaching out to people to discern what changes need to be made so that as many of us as possible can participate as fully as possible
- making changes necessary so that everyone is participating in the life of the church to the extent they desire
- making our church website fully accessible and inviting for all, and allowing people a place to provide feedback and request modifications, assistance, and prayers
- praying for and supporting our Friendship Ministry
- providing educational and awareness opportunities about including people of all abilities
- praying for the concerns brought to our team
Everyone in our congregation has needs and gifts. Some of the needs include macular degeneration, hearing loss, mobility issues, learning disabilities, Parkinson’s, dementia, stroke recovery, developmental disabilities, and mental health issues. The list is long and diverse.
The Christian Reformed Church and the Reformed Church in America Disability Concerns Ministries have designated October 14-21, 2018 as Disability Awareness Week. Sunday, October 21, 2018 River Terrace will focus on the many opportunities we have to be an inclusive, welcoming place for all of God’s children.
We invite you to contact anyone on our team if you have suggestions or concerns.