RTC: Who We Are
A Story… The Bible tells of a pivotal moment. Humanity was going from bad to worse; God took action. God blessed Abraham (no standout) in order to bless all peoples through him (Genesis 12.1-3). This story points to what we’re about at RTC.
Our Need… God created us “to glorify God and enjoy him forever.” Foolishly, and to a person, we seek fulfillment in other sources. This sin separates us from God and unleashes countless miseries. On our own, we cannot undo this damage.
Our God… Through the life, death, and resurrection of his son, Jesus Christ, God has acted to bring sinners home to himself. God graciously calls us to trust in Jesus for his forgiveness and new life in the power of the Holy Spirit. When we do, God welcomes us into his forever family, the church.
Our Mission… Our church’s aim is to be disciples of Jesus who make disciples of Jesus – for God’s glory! Or, to use the words of the Bible text mentioned above, to grow in receiving God’s blessing and in blessing others.
Our Roots… We are affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church in North America, a family of churches in the U.S. and Canada. Our roots are in the Protestant branch of the historic Christian Church which has existed for thousands of years and today spans the globe. The Bible is our guide for belief and living. We aim to be “re-formed” according to God’s Word, and by the power of God’s Spirit.
A CLOSER LOOK at what God calls us to do (mission) and how (practices):
- Mission: to glorify God and make disciples by cultivating hearts and minds to flourish in Christ
- Loving God
- worship and rest from work each week
- reflect on the Bible, pray, respond to the Spirit’s promptings each day
- Loving God’s family
- form intentional relationships with believers of all ages
- give time, ability, and money for our church’s mission
- Loving God’s world
- serve those in need and care for creation
- do good work and befriend someone on a journey to God
- Loving God’s truth
- all our practices are guided by and infused with the Bible, God’s Word
- Loving God
About our Mission & Practices…
- Our mission is rooted in Jesus’ last command: “…go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you” (Matthew 28.18-19a). Jesus’ call to make new disciples helps fuel our desire to be better ones—which helps attract others to Jesus!
- Our practices flow from Jesus’ first command, “Come, follow me….” (Matthew 4.19).
- Following Jesus means living as he did, with his help. Doing so enables us to grow in receiving and being transformed by God’s grace in Christ, no matter our situation.